A carer is someone who provides support to family or friends who could not manage without this help. This could be caring for a relative, a partner or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or is affected by mental ill-health or substance misuse. It includes young people who may be caring at home.
We would like to encourage all carers to register with the GP surgery. Carers often neglect their own health as they are looking after someone else. By keeping a carer fit and well, we can support them to look after the cared for person in the best way and also look after their own physical and emotional wellbeing.
If you are a carer please contact the practice and ask to be put on the surgery carers register. You will be given a carers pack with information about support services and how the practice can help you. In most cases we can then:
- Offer a free flu vaccination
- arrange flexible appointment times to meet the carers needs
- share information about the person you care for to help in their caring role
- let you know about other organisations that can help
Bristol & South Gloucestershire Carers Support Centre
Contact Carers Line on: 0117965 2200
Please let your doctor or a member of the surgery team know that you care for someone.
Do you worry about what would happen to the person you look after if you became seriously ill, or had an accident?
- You can carry a Carers’ Emergency Card which identifies you as a carer and has a personal identification number.
- If you are taken seriously ill or have an accident, anybody who finds you can ring the phone number on the card and tell the emergency response team that the person you care for needs help.
- This service is free and operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Pick up a Carers Emergency Card Scheme leaflet from the surgery or visit:
Useful Contact Numbers
- Bristol City Council Health and Social Care;
Care Direct 0117 922 2700:
www.bristol.gov.uk ; provides information, advice, assessment and commissions and arranges care and support services
- South Gloucestershire Health and Social Care
Adult Duty Team 01454 866807
- The Integrated Carers Team (Bristol): 0117 3521668. Provides carers simple assessments.
- Carers Support Centre; Carersline 0117 965 2200:
www.carerssupportcentre.org.uk ; provides information, advice and services focussed on supporting carers
- Well Aware; 0808 808 5252
www.wellaware.org.uk ; offers a database of health, wellbeing and community resources
- Age UK: Bristol: 0117 929 7537 www.ageuk.org.uk/bristol
South Glos: 01454 411 707 www.ageuk.org.uk/southgloucestershire
Provides day care services, information, advice and advocacy to ensure a smooth transition into care for older people.
- Alzheimer’s Society: (Bristol and South Glos) 0117 9610 693
Provides a range of services including dementia cafes, carers support groups, singing for the brain.
- Health Links: (Bristol) 0117 902 7115 or 07900264435
www.briscomhealth.org.uk provide interpreters for health professionals
- Carers Direct; 0808 8020202;
Website www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect ; provides a free national service offering information, advice and support for carers